The Pen Bay Healthcare Foundation builds relationships with individuals, businesses and foundations interested in helping Pen Bay provide the finest healthcare services to the people of Midcoast Maine.
The Foundation supports the charitable activities of Pen Bay Medical Center, the Knox Center for Long Term Care, Kno-Wal-Lin Home Care and Hospice, the Anderson Inn at Quarry Hill and Pen Bay Physicians & Associates.
BETTER TOGETHER CAPITAL CAMPAIGN
As the community healthcare system serving Midcoast Maine, Pen Bay Healthcare has two key goals: to provide residents with the highest quality medical care available and to meet the medical needs of community members, regardless of their ability to pay.
In December 2014, the Pen Bay Healthcare Foundation completed a comprehensive campaign to support capital projects, program initiatives and growth of Pen Bay Healthcare’s endowment. The Better Together Campaign, Pen Bay’s largest ever fundraising campaign raised over $13.3 million in charitable contributions. Campaign projects were drawn from Pen Bay’s strategic plan and focused on women and families, compassionate hospice care and high-quality, patient-centered care.
The Pen Bay Healthcare Foundation’s Spring Donor Report details the great successes of the Better Together campaign and includes a list of all the donors who made the campaign possible.
Highlights from the campaign are outlined below.
The Sussman House, which opened in December 2014, is the first building at Pen Bay Healthcare to be funded entirely with privately donated gifts and grants. This beautiful seven-bed hospice facility is located on the Pen Bay Medical Center campus in Rockport is helping patients near the end of life, stay close to home, near family and friends.
Women & Family Health
Pen Bay Healthcare’s Women & Family Health Program informs and educates women and their families about their health and healthcare choices. An early gift to the Better Together capital campaign established the Picker Family Resource Center, helping Pen Bay offer more outreach programs, support groups, health resources and educational opportunities. Participants have enjoyed classes on healthy cooking, physical fitness, cancer prevention and survivorship and new parenting skills. The Picker Center is home to the Lets Go! program that encourages healthy eating and exercise for our children and families.
Pen Bay Healthcare is committed to creating a patient-centered culture of caring in every setting for every patient we serve. It is a collaborative model of care that improves patient safety, satisfaction and health outcomes. Within this framework, patients and their families are encouraged to take an active role in their health and the care they receive. Moving to this new model of care is an important undertaking and can be seen in the changes at our facilities—from renovations throughout the hospital to expanded hours for medical practices to Crucial Conversations training for all staff to targeted initiatives at Knox Center and Quarry Hill.
Partnership Care Projects include:
- Projects in Clinical Excellence. Clinical Excellence funding
- Creates physician-led projects that advance patient-centered, evidence-based care while enhancing physician retention and recruitment. Example, two projects are the development of Pen Bay Medical Center as a teaching site for Tufts University School of Medicine and pediatric screening tests for lead poisoning that use simple finger sticks in the office rather than phlebotomy in the lab.
- Underwrites clinical research at Pen Bay and
- Develops and promotes selected sub-specialties.
- Friends at Anderson Inn at Quarry Hill.
- Knox Center Blue Ribbon Fund.
For more information about the Campaign, please email Eleanor Willmann or call 207-921-6710.
You may designate your gift as unrestricted, to be used where the need is greatest, or choose to have it support patient care, education or other fundraising initiatives. As a special tribute, you may also further personalize your gift by making it in memory of or in honor of a person special to you.
The Pen Bay Annual Giving program includes a community and employee annual appeal, special fundraising events held throughout the year, grant requests and personal solicitations. All gifts are welcome, regardless of size. Each gift makes a difference.
The Wellspring Society recognizes the efforts of individuals who make yearly donations of $1,000 or more to Pen Bay. This dedicated group of donors answers the call for significant, annual philanthropic support of Pen Bay as it meets the healthcare needs of the Midcoast community.
For more information about Annual Giving programs, please email Sherry Gagne or call 207-921-6711.
We welcome the opportunity to talk with donors or potential donors who wish to make an important impact with their gift to Pen Bay, whether through a year-end stock gift or other substantial donation.
For more information about making a stock gift or sizeable donation, email Eleanor Willmann or call 207-921-6710.
Pen Bay’s Legacy Society recognizes and thanks those who have made provisions for Pen Bay Healthcare in their estate plans or have made other types of planned gifts. All are welcome to join the Legacy Society. There is no minimum or maximum gift amount required—Pen Bay is thankful for all planned gifts, whatever their size.
Charitable gift planning options include:
- A Bequest using a will or codicil;
- A Gift Annuity with Pen Bay Healthcare, which pays a lifetime income to a donor or donors, now or in the future, in exchange for a gift of cash or marketable securities of at least $10,000;
- A Charitable Trust, naming Pen Bay Healthcare or one of its organizational partners as one of the beneficiaries;
- A gift of real estate, or collectibles such as coins, antiques, art or other valuable resources;
- A gift from an IRA or other retirement plan, naming Pen Bay Healthcare Foundation or other Pen Bay organization as a beneficiary.
- Life Insurance can provide for a generous legacy in the future
For more information about the Legacy Society, email Eleanor Willmann or call 207-921-6710.
Bob Gagnon Cancer Fund
Initiated in 2001 to honor well-loved community member Bob Gagnon, the Fund committee has raised more than $700,000 for the care and treatment of those affected by cancer. Some of the major projects supported by the Bob Gagnon Fund have included:
- Laptop computers for use in-hospital by patients receiving cancer care at Pen Bay;
- Gas cards for those who need to drive to cancer treatments outside the Midcoast;
- Common Journey, a support group to meet the survivorship needs of women with cancer;
- Cancer Center Family Room, a space especially for those supporting a cancer patient;
- The Bob Gagnon Suite: three patient rooms and a solarium for patients and their families at Pen Bay for hospice and palliative care. Many of those in this suite are cancer patients.
For more information about the Bob Gagnon Fund, email Bonnie Augustine or call 207-921-6713.
Throughout the year, a number of special events are held to benefit current fundraising projects at Pen Bay. Join us on Facebook and learn more about each one and how you can participate.
Pen Bay Healthcare Foundation is Pen Bay’s fundraising organization and exists to encourage gifts and bequests to support our mission: to care for the sick and injured and improve the health and quality of life of the people of Midcoast Maine. The Foundation also manages an endowment—a collection of small and large funds that are invested for growth—and distributes earnings; investment and spending are accomplished under guidelines and policies approved by Trustees.
Vice President of Development
Manager, Annual Giving and Research
Director of Grant & Foundation Relations
Director of Development Communications