As the calendar turns to a New Year, it’s a logical time to make positive changes in our lives. Many of us make “New Year’s Resolutions” most of which are abandoned after a few weeks. Many of these are all too broad in scope to be helpful, for example “I’m going to be healthier” or “I’m going to be more successful.”
Instead, this year make an action plan. The parts of an action plan are as follows:
- 1. Something YOU want to do
- Answer the questions: what, how much, when and how often? Example: what (fruit will I eat?), how much (fruit will I eat?), when (will I eat it?) and how often (will I eat it)?
- You should have a confidence level of 7 or more (from 0 to 10) that you can do it.
- Try to identify potential obstacles and ways to overcome them.
Here are some examples:
- “I’m going to introduce a new fruit or vegetable to my family once a week. I’ll pick it up when I shop on Monday.
- I’m going to play outside with my kids once a week on Saturday for one hour. We will walk, go sliding or play ball.
Zing! is a positive, encouraging program that helps children and their families learn healthy habits and is offered at both Pen Bay Pediatrics and Waldoboro Family Medicine.” Zing! team members work with children ages 6-18 who have been referred by their doctor’s office because of weight and health concerns.
Zing! team members, who may include a pediatrician or nurse practitioner, a registered dietitian, physical therapist, behavioral health specialist and other professionals, use the Let’s Go! 5-2-1-0 message and teach how 5 fruits and vegetables, 2 hours or less of screen time, 1 hour or more of physical activity and 0 sugar drinks make it easy to make healthy choices. A good way for families to start their action planning is to look at the 5-2-1-0 categories offered at your local doctor’s offices or schools.
Each Zing! specialist will help you and your child set realistic, achievable goals and we offer a variety of fun activities like cooking classes, group exercises and field trips!
Interested in making a New Year’s Action Plan and healthy choices? Contact Zing! today at Waldoboro Family Medicine at 832-5291 or Pen Bay Pediatrics at 593-5639.