You can reach Pen Bay’s Patient Accounts office Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. by calling 207-921-3151. Voice mail is available after hours and weekends. Your call will be returned on the next business day.
Pen Bay Billing: 207-921-3151
Knox Center Billing: 207-921-6749
Quarry Hill Billing: 207-921-6103PAYING YOUR BILL - Pen Bay Medical Center bills
Payments may be made by mail or in person at our Patient Registration area, located near the main entrance at Pen Bay Medical Center.
You may also make payments in the Patient Accounts department, located at 409 Old County Road in Rockland. For your convenience, we accept Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express. We accept all major medical insurances including Mainecare and Medicaid.PAYING ONLINE - Physician Practice bills Ask your Doctors about their ability to accept payments online. Then follow this link to make a payment. MEDICAL CARE FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY Pen Bay Medical Center treats all patients equally in awarding free or reduced-fee care. We have a number of programs and to qualify, patients need to meet certain income guidelines and must submit certain documentation before billing can be altered to reflect free or reduced care. No patient will be denied services based on ability or non-ability to pay at Pen Bay.
Speak with a Financial Counselor for advice about what program is best for you at 207-921-8267.
Pen Bay’s income guidelines for free or reduced care are based on federal income guidelines. We encourage patients and their families to read the Notice of Availability and to download the application for free or reduced care.
- Notice Of Availability
- Financial Assistance Checklist – lists documents that must be submitted with Application for Free or Reduced Care
- Application for Free or Reduced Care
The hospital posts notices about this policy in the admitting area, registration area, our financial counselor’s office, emergency reception room area, business office and outpatient reception areas.
Individual notices are given to each person who seeks services for themselves or for someone else.
Before providing free care, Pen Bay will ask for information about your income and will ask you to show that insurance or a government medical assistance program will not pay for your care. This information is held in the strictest confidence.
The hospital makes a written determination on the patient’s request for charity care within seven (7) days after an official application is received by the hospital.
Services that are not medically necessary are not provided as free care. If you do not qualify for free hospital care, you are allowed to ask for a fair hearing. We will tell you how to apply for a fair hearing.
Please note that applications for free care must meet the following criteria to be considered for approval:
- Application must be received within 60 days of established self pay responsibility. A new application must be completed for each episode of treatment (new applications WILL be allowable to a coverage look-back timeframe of 60 days.)
- Patients must not be eligible for any other payer source, such as Federal assistance, State assistance, etc.
- Anyone receiving Social Security income will be considered eligible for financial assistance provided they have no other sources of payment, i.e. health insurance or liability claim, and have no other form of income.
Failure to meet payment/payment arrangements on discounted balances will result in the revocation of the discount and total charges will be due.