Volunteers play an important role in the overall success of Pen Bay Healthcare. Our active volunteer network assists patients, their families, and visitors to our facilities and are valued members of the health care team.AT PEN BAY MEDICAL CENTER
Pen Bay Medical Center volunteers share their time, talents, compassion and expertise with our patients, families, visitors and staff in dozens of areas and departments. Volunteering can be a rewarding and enriching experience for all. We look forward to exploring volunteer opportunities with you.
Minimum Requirements for Pen Bay Medical Center Volunteers:
• Must be 18 years of age or older (16 or older for select roles. If applicant is less than 18 years of age, parent or legal guardian must sign all documents.)
• Be willing to commit to a minimum of 4 hours per week, for a minimum of 6 months
• Complete and submit an application packet (see below)
• Participate in a personal interview
• Successfully complete mandatory orientation (1.5 days; usually offered twice per month)
• Must consent to a Criminal Background/ Sex Offender Registry Check
• Strictly adhere to confidentiality policy
• Provide authorization for your physician to complete a medical reference form
• Complete PPD (tuberculosis) & immunization screening through PBH Employee Health
• Successfully complete training in your assigned area
• Be a champion of Courteous Communication and Excellence Always.
• Must have a positive & professional attitude and a desire to help others
The Knox Center for Long Term Care offers many volunteer opportunities, whether working directly with patients or doing office work to help keep things running smoothly. In addition to being a meaningful way to serve to our community, there are many benefits to being a healthcare volunteer. Volunteering offers an opportunity to research a new career, meet new people and acquaint oneself with the community. Ask any volunteer and they will tell you their lives are richer for the experience!
Whatever your interest, hobby, or skill, most likely there is a way to share it as a volunteer. Most volunteer assignments can be tailored to meet an individual’s needs, interests and availability. Let us know what interests you, and we will work to find an opportunity that will benefit both you and our community!
We also welcome visits from our local schools and community groups. If you are interested in bringing your class or group to the Knox Center for a visit or to perform music or provide other forms of entertainment, please call Activities at (207) 594-6851.
Quarry Hill has many volunteer opportunities to suit your interests, abilities and experience. To learn more about volunteering at Quarry Hill, please contact our Activity/Volunteer Coordinator.
At Kno-Wal-Lin, our volunteers visit home-bound patients; assist with office work and mailings or fundraising activities; assist nurses at Flu Shot and Foot Clinics and make medication boards, disposable pads, bed jackets & walker aprons.
Kno-Wal-Lin volunteers are trained to be part of our home care service. If you are interested in becoming a hospice volunteer, please contact Coastal Family Hospice Volunteers at 207-593-9355.
The Pen Bay Healthcare Foundation relies on volunteers throughout the year- but particularly during the summer months- to help prepare for our many community events and fundraisers. Volunteers also assist with office support and event planning year-round. To learn more about current volunteer opportunities with the Foundation, please contact us.
- Direct care volunteers provide companionship and support to hospice patients and their families. They are present as a friend or family member might be … reading out loud, running an errand, or just being there … listening, laughing, crying, holding hands. They are trained/oriented (30 hours) and coordinated by Coastal Family Hospice Volunteers. Call CFHV at 207-593-9355 for more information. For an application, click here.
- While Sussman House support volunteers don’t have direct patient interaction, they do all the things that make the Sussman House feel like home … welcoming visitors, baking, cooking, gardening, answering the phone, light office work, helping with special events. They are trained/oriented (4-6 hours) and coordinated by Kno-Wal-Lin Home Care & Hospice. Call Kno-Wal-Lin at 594-9561 or Joy Chamberlin at 542-4991 for more information. For an application, click here.